Join us for 24 Hours of Science!
24 straight hours of hands-on science fun? You bet! Every hour there will be something new to learn about, see, try, or explore, and it's all included in your $24 ticket*. That's only $1 per hour of science!
We've broken down the day into themed time periods. Click the following themes to be taken directly to that theme's schedule, or just keep scrolling to see everything we'll be doing over the most awesome 24 hours you'll ever experience! All scheduled events are subject to change without notice.
- Science Olympics
- Galaxy Quest (19+ Only)
- Light and Dark
- Breakfast Science
- Saturday Morning Cartoon Science
- Stage Shows
*Please note that General Admission rates, including Member rates, will not apply during this special event. Only those with 24 Hours of Science Tickets will be allowed entry. Tickets will be available at the door. Body Worlds Rx admission is included!
Science Olympics 10:00-15:00
Try your hand at our Science Olympics! There are 24 questions with answers to be found around the building with some hands-on challenges to complete! We recommend grades 3 and up for this challenge, or it is perfect for a family!
Let's make art with science! Science, technology, engineering, art, and math are what we'll be exploring with these activities.
- Pendulum Art - Make art with a pendulum! A messy and fun way to observe how pendulums move.
- Building Bridges -There are lots of styles of bridges – arch, suspension, truss, cantilever and more! Try your hand at making your own bridge and see how much weight it can hold.
- Phosphorescent Wall Lite Brite - Make stencils out of paper to make awesome shapes and patterns on the phosphorescent wall.
- LED Stickies - Use LEDs and magnets to make a sticky light to decorate any metal objects.
BioBlitz Canada 150: Regina
Join the Royal Saskatchewan Museum and the rest of Canada in BioBlitz! A bioblitz is a 24-hour period where the public and scientists come together to celebrate nature by recording as many species as possible within a designated area, creating a species list for that date and location. It's the perfect way to show your love of nature and science. We are pleased to be a location for some BioBlitz activities. All events associated with BioBlitz are free of charge, but some require preregistration.
Find out what you're made of! This is the perfect time to visit Body Worlds Rx while you're here as well as take part in the following extras!
- *21:00 and 22:00
- *Tour Body Worlds Rx with Dr. Josef Buttigieg - Sign up to receive a tour of our visiting exhibition from Dr. Buttigieg. a professor of Neurophysiology, Anatomy and Physiology at the University of Regina, who is conducting research to identify predictors of stroke as well as the use of medication and stem cell therapy in spinal cord injuries. *Sign up is required and will be open from 18:00-22:00. Space is limited.*
- Concussion Goggle Obstacle Course - A concussion is a brain injury that can really inhibit how you do everyday tasks. If you’ve never had a concussion it can be hard to understand what one is. Put on some concussion goggles and try to complete some everyday tasks.
- PlayDough Surgery - Learn how an MRI works and how they can be used to scan the body for tumors or injuries. Then use magnets to try and find the tumor in the body and use utensils to try and get it out!
- Dissection Demo - Learn more about how eyes work while you watch one of our staff dissect a sheep eye.
Galaxy Quest (19+ only) 21:30-23:30
Never give up, never surrender! Enjoy a screening of the classic sci-fi spoof Galaxy Quest with a cash bar, just for those 19 and older. The bar opens at 21:30 and the movie starts promptly at 22:00. By Grapthar's Hammer, it will be fun!
Please note that the Kramer IMAX Theatre will only be accessible to those 19 and older during this time. No alcohol will be permitted outside of the theatre and valid, government issued photo ID will be required for entry. Seating is limited.
Spaaaaace! Let's talk about space! I love space!
- *22:30, 23:30, and 00:30
- *Star Lab - Take a trip to outer space in our digital, inflatable planetarium! Have a look at many of the objects in our galaxy including constellations, planets, and the life cycle of stars. *Sign up is required and will be open from 18:00-22:00. Spaces are limited.*
- Oreo Moon Phases - Take a delicious look at how the different phases of the moon are created!
- Mars Landers - Oh no! Our lovely space shuttle is going to be crash landing on the surface of Mars! Use the materials we have available to soften the landing, so our egg-stronauts survive this situation! Landers will be dropped at 00:15.
- Create a Crater- Craters are normally created by a meteor crashing into the surface of a planet or moon, however we can create them using items found around the house. Help us create some of the best craters this side of the moon!
Light and Dark 01:30-05:00
Experiment with light in these awesome activities to keep you glowing through the night.
- Glow Germ - Washing your hands is super important to prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses. Find out just how good your hand-washing skills are!
- Laser Mazes - Use your Jedi mind-tricks (and a couple of handy mirrors) to bend a laser’s light to your will, and learn more about reflection! No previous Jedi experience necessary!
- Anglerfish Art - Anglerfish live in very deep and very dark waters – one way they have evolved to make living down there easier is through a luminescent lure that grows off the front of their head and acts kind of like a light. We’ll be designing our own anglerfish, including adding a working light!
- UV Painting - Make art that glows under a blacklight!
Breakfast Science 05:00-08:00
Get up, get moving, and say hello to morning - the scientific way!
- Sunrise Yoga - Greet the sun with Diana Bye as she leads us in sunrise yoga! Beginners and kids welcome! Please bring a yoga mat or towel.
- Finding Iron in Your Cereal - What does your breakfast cereal have in common with Earth's crust? They both have some of the same materials in them. It might seem strange to compare a bowl of cornflakes to a pile of dirt. But science can help us find one of the most common elements on Earth in your cereal: iron.
- Tie-Dye Milk - It’s an explosion of colour! Some very unusual things happen when you mix a little milk, food colouring, and a drop of liquid soap.
- Morning Dance Party - Wake up and groove! Shake it out, do the twist, make up some new moves, but no matter what you do, you'll definitely be awake after this!
- Genetic Granola - Create your own healthy breakfast using your DNA as a recipe! This is an edible activity!
Saturday Morning Cartoon Science 08:00-10:00
Saturday mornings are all about cartoons, so here's a little science behind them to close out your amazing 24 hours.
- The Adventure Club in the IMAX! - See the movie that was filmed right here in our Science Centre!!! Three ten-year-old friends discover a wishbox--an ancient artifact with the ability to grant wishes. The three decide to use the box to save their local science center from bankruptcy, but in doing so they discover that there are some shady characters also after the box and who will stop at nothing to get it. Watch the trailer here. Seating is limited and will be on a first come, first served basis.
- Thaumatropes - Where did cartoons start? Thaumatrope toys laid some of the first building blocks for cartoons enjoyed today.
- Brush Bots - Make a bot that looks like it's dancing! We would watch a cartoon about dancing robots.
Stage Shows Happening All Day and Night
It wouldn't be a Science Centre event without a whole bunch of our fantastic Stage Shows!
- The Fire Show
- 10:30, 04:30
- The Quantum Show
- 11:30, 15:30
- The Static Show
- 12:30, 01:30, 07:30
- The Cryo Show
- 13:30, 05:30
- The Space Show
- 14:30, 02:30
- Superheroes of Sustainability
- 16:30, 06:30
- Meet an Animal
- 19:00, 09:30
- The Blood and Guts Show
- 20:30, 08:30
- Superheroes of Sustainability go Outside
- The Scales and Tails Show
We've got your favourite documentaries, and a couple movies not in IMAX format for you to enjoy! They're all included with your ticket of course. Seating is limited and will be on a first come, first served basis.
- 11:00 - Dream Big: Engineering Our World
- 14:15 - Dream Big: Engineering Our World
- 15:30 - Extreme Weather
- 16:45 - Great White Shark 3D
- 22:00 - Galaxy Quest with a cash bar just for those 19+ (ID required for entry)
- 08:00 - The Adventure Club - See the movie that was filmed right here in our Science Centre!!!
All scheduled events are subject to change without notice.