April is Earth Month at the Saskatchewan Science Centre
Earth Month 2018
Getting ready to celebrate Earth Day? Communities around the world are promoting action to end plastic pollution. It is up to all of us to use this unprecedented opportunity to build the change we need. So, this month join us for hands-on experiments related to the importance of keeping our water clean, and reducing the use of plastics ranging from the use of glitter to reusable water bottles. Earth month is important to build environmental awareness, but to also celebrate our earth! Come celebrate with us!
Explore special 2pm Family Activities, Exhibit Floor Features, Stage Shows, and Earth Day Celebrations below!
2pm Family Activities are every Saturday and Sunday from 2pm to 2:30pm, perfect for kids, hands-on, and are completely free with admission!
March 30- April 2: Water Filtration
The wilderness doesn’t have the luxury of tap or bottled water. Find out what it takes to go take water from creek to cup and make it drinkable.
April 7-8: Bird Feeders
Spring is in bloom which means the weather warming up, and the birds are returning. Show your support for your migratory friends and bring some nature to your backyard by making your very own bird feeder!
April 14-15: Habitat Wascana
What do 200 species of migratory birds, 50,000 flowers and you have in common? They all make use of Wascana Park! Find out how we interact with the environment and much more in one of North America’s largest parks.
April 21-22: Animal Tracks
Every animal leaves tracks, but what can we learn from tracks we find in the wild? Come learn about different types of animal tracks, and make your own to take home!
April 28-29: Marsh Monsters
The Saskatchewan Science Centre sits right next to Wascana Lake, home to all kinds of amazing plant and animal life. Some of that life is so small that it’s really hard to see with the naked eye. Join us as we bring out our microscopes to take a closer look at what’s living in and around Wascana Lake!
Exhibit Floor Features
- Giant Earth Month Coloring wall – located on the main floor
- Building Connections Exhibit– Learn all about sustainable building practices and how to be more energy efficient while exploring the how to build your very own house.
- Windyville Exhibit– learn all about wind power as an alternative energy source and where it is used in Saskatchewan.
The Bat Show
Bats are sometimes misunderstood. Learn more about these special creatures and whey they are so important to our ecosystem. Even meet one of our resident bats!
Superheroes of Sustainability
Everyone can be superheroes of sustainability to help protect the environment and use resources wisely. During this stage show we look into the superpowers provided by our planet that can be found with fire, earth, air and water. You'll get to learn about solar and wind power, plus witness an erupting volcano.
April 22nd – Happy Earth Day!
Celebrate Earth Day all day long at the Science Centre!
11:00am & 11:30 - Nature Walks
- Join Sarah Turkeli from Wascana Centre on a nature walk right outside our doors! Please come dressed for the weather and be aware that our building will not be open until 12pm. Meet outside the Front Entrance to the Science Centre.
- Sarah Turkeli from Wascana Centre is spending the day with us! Visit her in our 3rd floor Maker Space to learn all about animal tracking and the tracks you can find right in Wascana Park.
1:00pm - The Bat Show
- Bats are sometimes misunderstood. Learn more about these special creatures and whey they are so important to our ecosystem. Even meet one of our resident bats at the Space Stadium Stage on the 2nd floor!
2:00pm - Animal Tracks 2pm Family Activity
- Every animal leaves tracks, but what can we learn from tracks we find in the wild? Come learn about different types of animal tracks, and make your own to take home! Try this activity at the 2nd floor Agrow Bistro.
3:00pm - Earth Layers in a Cup
- An edible activity! Take a snack break and learn all about how our Earth is constructed with this fun, tasty, and hands-on activity.
Activities and times are subject to change without notice.
Thank you to The Cooperators for their partnership in Earth Month!
Thank you also to Wascana Centre for helping with the Earth Day Activities.
Information & Activity Ideas
Biodiversity and Conservation in Canada:
On The Web: